Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fun with Windows XP

Something happens every once in a while that makes me wish Windows never existed. Like, seeing services.exe use 2 GB of virtual memory. Really.

I kept wondering what the hell was wrong with it. It started to happen after a Patch Tuesday, the one in October 2009, to be precise. I kept searching the web for a solution until I found a clue: the phenomenon was linked with Comodo System Cleaner. Someone said that upgrading to some specific version solved this issue. Oh well, my version was newer than the one that guy recommended :(

So I just uninstalled Comodo System Cleaner and the services.exe process stopped eating my computer. I don't even know if it's Comodo's fault for this, as we all know what a PITA a Windows update can be. Also, I'm still using the Comodo firewall and it's not creating any issues.

WinXP SP3 here... And no, I won't link you to the technical forum where I found the Comodo reference. There's a bad overlay on that page that steals your first click and redirects to some page with a title of "Acai". I will link you to something, though: The Web of Trust website. Get your browser plug-in and stay safe!